A farmer’s Markov transition matrix.
- At every step of the life cycle, the farmer (well, the plant, really…) contends with new natural enemies: wind, birds, mice, disease, varmints, frost, deer, ….
- This is a not-really-Markov transition matrix.
- Some states (such as “into a deer’s mouth”) that a plant could come to occupy aren’t shown.
- In the final row I made up some number for volume change.
- I guess the bottom right is the difference between a perennial and an annual, right? Like if that 1 were a 0 the plant would be an annual.
pics from Wikipedia or Purdue